Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament

A religious congregation established in Louisiana in 1872 primarily for the education of children. Originally a dependent branch of the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration founded by Catherine de Bar (in religion Mother Mechtilde of the Blessed Sacrament) in Paris, France in 1658, the congregation separated from the French province in 1892, later adopting the Rule of Saint Augustine. Still later the name of the congregation was changed to the present title. The sisters have schools, academies, and a house for the aged and infirm. The mother-house is in New Orleans.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author