Society of the Blessed Sacrament

Congregation of priests founded at Paris, France in 1865 by Blessed Pierre Julien Eymard, to devote themselves exclusively to the worship of the Holy Eucharist. In the houses of these Fathers, the Blessed Sacrament is always exposed for adoration, and the sanctuary never without adorers. All the houses in France were closed by the government in 1900, but Perpetual Adoration is continued in the Blessed Sacrament chapel in Paris. The first foundation in the United States was made in 1900, by Father Estevenon at Saint Jean Baptiste church, New York in 1904 the fathers opened a preparatory seminary at Suffern, Rockland County, New York, and they are now represented in the archdioceses of New York and Chicago. The general mother-house is at Rome; the novitiate for North America at Quebec, Canada. From every house of the congregation emanates a series of Eucharistic works, as: Eucharistic Weeks, or, Lights and Flowers, People's Eucharistic League, Priests' Eucharistic League, Sacerdotal Eucharistic League, etc. In the United States these Fathers publish Emmanuel, and The Sentinel of the Blessed Sacrament.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author