Sons of the Sacred Heart of Verona
An institute founded at Verona, Italy in 1861 by Saint Daniel Comboni, as a society of secular priests for the African missions.
In 1885 the society became a congregation and its members were called Sons of the Sacred Heart.
Until 1900 they were under the direction of the Jesuits.
By a decree of 1923, this institute was divided into two congregations: the Congregation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the missions of central Africa, comprising 140 religious, all Italians, and having its mother-house at Verona; and the Congregation of Missionaries of the Sons of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, composed of religious of Austrian, German, and other nationalities.
The constitutions of both congregations are practically the same.
Besides small residences in Italy, this society has a novitiate at Venegono near Milan, an apostolic school at Brescia, a novitiate for German-speaking members at Brixen (Tyrol), and a house at Gratz (Austria).
Missionary labor is carried on by the Sons of the Sacred Heart throughout the whole of the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan and the northern section of the Uganda Protectorate; they are in charge of the vicariates Apostolic of Khartum, and Bahr-el-Ghazal and Uganda, and some of their members are at Cairo, Heluan, and Assuan in Egypt.
New Catholic Dictionary