Picpus Fathers

Formally the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, and also known as the Congregation of Picpus or Fathers of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. Initially founded at Poitiers, France in 1800 by Father Pierrre Coudrin, it was formally established at Paris, France at a location on Rue Picpus in 1805. Formally approved in 1817 by Pope Pius VII, in 1825 by Pope Leo XII, and in 1840 by Pope Gregory XVI. The Congregation has been frequently entrusted by the Holy See with missionary work, especially in island groups of the Pacific. They are also engaged in the instruction of children, the exercise of perpetual adoration, and practices of mortification. The members take simple vows for life and are governed by a superior-general residing at Braine-le-Comte, Belgium. Members of the Congregation profiled on this site include