Son of Pope Hormisdas, who had entered religious life after raising a family. Sub-deacon when elected pope at the insistence of King Theodaha the Ostrogoth. A humble man caught in the middle of a political ploy by Vigilius and the Empress Theodora to seize the pontificate for the Monophysites. Kidnapped, convicted of a trumped-up charge of treason, and exiled to the island of Ponza, Italy.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Encyclopedia, by J P Kirsch
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- New Catholic Dictionary
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- San Silverio Shrine, Dover Plains, New York, USA
- “Pope Saint Silverio“. Saints.SQPN.com. 4 December 2013. Web. 24 April 2014. <>