Prüfening Abbey

Also known as

  • Kloster Prüfening
  • Prüfening Castle
  • Schloss Prüfening

About

A Benedictine monastery on the western outskirts of Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany. Founded in 1109 by Saint Otto of Bamberg. The abbey church, dedicated to Saint George, was completed in 1125, and is still in part-time use. The first abbot of the house, Saint Erminold of Prüfening, was killed by a lay-brother because of his strictness. The abbey was dissolved in 1803 during the secularisation of Bavaria. The buildings were sold, and since 1899 have been in the possession of the Princes of Thurn and Taxis. Since 2002 a Montessori school has used the grounds.