Remiremont Abbey

[Remiremont Abbey]
A Benedictine abbey near Remiremont, Vosges, France. It was founded c.620 by Saint Romaric, a lord at the court of Clotaire II who became a monk at Luxeuil. It comprised a monastery of monks and a monastery of nuns. Later the Benedictine nuns were replaced by a chapter of ninety-eight canonesses who had to prove 200 years of nobility. In 910, nuns threatened by invading Hungarians, took refuge at Remiremont and stayed on. Enriched by dukes of Lorraine, kings of France and emperors of Germany, the ladies of Remiremont attained great power. The abbess was a princess of the empire, and received consecration at the hands of the pope. The fifty canonesses were selected from those who could give proof of noble descent. On Whit-Monday the neighbouring parishes paid homage to the chapter in a ceremony called the Kyrioles, and the dukes of Lorraine had to come to Remiremont to swear to continue their protection. The War of the Scutcheons in 1566 between the duke and the abbess ended in favour of the duke, and the abbess never recovered her former position. In the 17th century the women of Remiremont fell away from their Rule; they assumed their titles of nobility, renounced their vows, married, and returned to the world. The last abbess was a Bourbon princess, the daughter of Louis Joseph de Bourbon, prince de Condé; she was prioress of the Monastery of the Temple at her death in 1824.

Notable monks, nun, abbots and abbesses include