Prostitute. During the Diocletian persecutions, she and her mother Hilaria hid their bishop. He converted them, and Afra devoted herself to working with the poor. Eventually she was ordered to sacrifice to pagan gods; she refused. Martyr.
When her mother, Saint Hilaria of Augsburg, and the servants Digna, Eunomia and Eprepria went to inter her burned remains in a sepulchre, they were caught by the authorities. The four of them were ordered to make the same sacrifice that Afra had refused. They refused, and were burned to death in Afra’s sepulchre.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- Dictionary of Saints, by John Delaney
- New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Saints and Their Symbols, by E A Greene
- “Saint Afra of Augsburg“. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 February 2014. Web. 8 March 2014. <>