Born to the nobility, the daughter of Saint Pepin of Landen, mayor of the palace, and Saint Ida of Nivelles. Sister of Saint Gertrude of Nivelles. Married to Ansegilius, son of Saint Arnulf of Metz. Mother of Pepin of Herstal, founder of the Carolingian dynasty of rulers in France, in 635, and of Martin of Laon.
On the death of her husband in 691 in a hunting accident, Begga took the veil, founded founded seven churches, and built a convent at Andenne on the Meuse River in France where she spent the rest of her days as abbess.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Online
- Heiligen 3s
- Kirken i Norge
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Santi e Beati, by Henry Platelle
- “Saint Begga of Andenne“. Saints.SQPN.com. 16 December 2013. Web. 21 August 2014. <>