Benedictine monk at the Saint Hippolyte monastery on Mount Zobor outside Nitra in modern Slovakia, taking the name Benedict. Spiritual student of Saint Andrew Zorard. With his abbot‘s permission, Benedict withdrew from communal life to live nearby as a hermit. Noted for his ascetic lifestyle. Killed by a gang of thieves who believed he was hiding treasure in his cave. His biography was written by Saint Maurus of Pécs.
- 10th century Nitra (in modern Slovakia) as Stojislav
- strangled by thieves in 1012 on Mount Zobor, Slovakia
- body throw into the River Váh
- a year later his perfectly perserved body was found in the river, watched over by an eagle
- relics transferred to the Cathedral of Saint Emmeram in Nitra, Slovakia in 1083
- “Saint Benedict of Szkalka“. Saints.SQPN.com. 29 March 2014. Web. 27 January 2015. <>