Joined the Dominicans in Cologne, Germany, though the persecutions of the time made it impossible for him to wear his habit. Parish priest of Horner, Netherlands. When he heard of the arrest and abuse of Catholics in Gorkum, Nederlands, he visited them in prison, smuggling in the Eucharist. When he was discovered to be a priest he was arrested, and tortured. He was offered his freedom if he would deny the authority of the pope over the Church; he declined. One of the Gorkum Martyrs.
- man elevating the Eucharist as he wears a rope around his neck
- Dominican with a rope around his neck, sometimes holding a palm of martyrdom
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Katherine Rabenstein: Gorkum Martyrs
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- “Saint John of Cologne”. Saints.SQPN.com. 25 December 2009. Web. 19 May 2013. <http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-john-of-cologne/>