Monk in France. Invited by King Alfred of England to restore faith and learning to the English abbeys ravaged by the Danes. Abbot of Athelingay. Murdered in a church at night by two French monks who were under his guidance, but rebelled against it. Considered a martyr as his death was caused by working for the Faith.
- in Saxony (part of modern Germany)
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Online
- For All The Saints, by Katherine Rabenstein
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- “Saint John the Saxon“. Saints.SQPN.com. 27 October 2013. Web. 21 September 2014. <>