Wealthy and pious layman. Father of seven sons, the eldest of whom was the philosopher Origen, whom he raised and taught. Philosopher and rhetorician. Imprisoned and martyred by command of Laertus, Governor of Egypt. All his property was confiscated, and his family reduced to complete poverty until they were “adopted” by a wealthy Christian woman.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Medieval Religion Listserv, by John Dillon
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Roman Martyrology
- “Saint Leonidas of Alexandria“. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 April 2013. Web. 9 December 2013. <>