Abbey nullius of Augustinian Canons in the Canton of Valais, Switzerland on the site of the martyrdom of the Theban Legion. Little is known of its foundation, which was probably renewed by Sigismund, King of the Burgundians. About the year 522, Abbot Ambrosius introduced the Perpetual Psalmody, as practised by the Acremetre. Among its treasures is the famous chasse (reliquary) decorated with glass mosaic. Since 1840 its abbots have also been titular bishops of Bethlehem. The abbey is in the center of the village, which was vacated in the mid-20th-century and is now wholly owned by the abbey.
- “Saint Maurice of Agaunum Abbey”. . Saints.SQPN.com. 29 August 2010. Web. 29 August 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-maurice-of-agaunum-abbey/>