His father was a pagan imperial Roman army officer, his mother Saint Perpetua of Rome. Raised a Christian and taught religion by Saint Peter the Apostle. Friend of and co-worker with Saint Celsus. Evangelized in Milan. Martyred in the first persecution of Nero.
- beheaded c.68 in Milan, Italy
- legend says that when Saint Ambrose of Milan discovered the tomb in 395, Nazarius’s blood was still liquid
- relics taken to the basilica of the Apostles in Milan
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Roman Martyrology
- “Saint Nazarius of Rome“. Saints.SQPN.com. 14 May 2013. Web. 13 December 2013. <>