Joined the Franciscans in 1567. Missionary to Mexico, the Philippines beginning in 1583, and Japan in 1593. First bishop of the diocese of Nueva Caceres, Philippines. Noted for his work with lepers. Superior of the missionaries in Japan. Negotiated with the Japanese emperor. Founded schools, hospitals, and convents. Miracle worker. The emperor began to fear that missionaries were a prelude to invasion by the west, and ordered them all imprisoned. One of the Martyrs of Nagasaki. Reportedly seen celebrating Mass long after his death.
- crucified on 5 February 1597 at Nagasaki, Japan
- body reported incorrupt after two months exposure to the elements
- 1001 Patron Saints and Their Feast Days, Australian Catholic Truth Society
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- New Catholic Dictionary
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- “Saint Peter Baptist“. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 August 2013. Web. 6 December 2013. <>