Born to wealth. Hermit in the desert of Skete, Egypt. Hermit in Palestine on the bank of the Jordan River. Ordained as a priest in Jerusalem. Reluctant bishop of Gaza, he took to this assignment with great zeal and devotion. He converted almost all of his diocese, and nearly eliminated paganism in it.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Life of Porphyry, Bishop of Gaza, by Mark the Deacon
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Medieval Religion Listserv, by John Dillon
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Pictorial Lives of the Saints
- “Saint Porphyrius of Gaza“. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 July 2013. Web. 7 December 2013. <>