- Theodosius of Cappadocia
- Theodosius the Coenobriarch
- Theodosius the Great
Born to a pious family, he began his studies at an early age, and became a lector while still a youth. The example of Abraham led him to leave home in order to properly follow God. He met Saint Simeon Stylites in Antioch; Simeon recognized him as a holy man and leader, and invited Theodosius onto his pillar for prayer, blessing, and advice. Travelled to Jerusalem where legend says worked with Saint Longinus the Centurian, who would have been nearly 500 years old at the time. Head of a church near Bethlehem.
Hermit in the desert of Judah, living in a cave. Word of his holiness began to attract disciples, and Theodosius built a monastery at Cathismus to house them. There were so many there had to be a section for Greeks, for Armenians, for Persions, etc., but they all happily worked and prayed together. Next to the monastery he built a hospital for the sick, a hospice for the aged, and a mental hospital. Friend of and co-worker with Saint Sabbas. Appointed visitor to all cenobitical communities of Palestine the patriarch of Jerusalem.
Opposed heresies, including Eutychianism and Monophysitism. Emperor Anastatius, a supporter of Eutychianism, sent Theodosius a large bribe, hoping to sway the influential monk to his thinking; Theodosius distributed the money to the poor, and continued to preach against heresy. Because of his orthodox views, Anastatius removed him from his position in 513, but he soon resumed his duties under emperor Justinian.
In poor health in his old age, he was stricken with a condition that made his skin dry as stone. He continued to work until his health gave out, and then he spent his time praying for his community. He died at age 105.
- 529 at Cathismus of natural causes
- buried in the cave where he live as a hermit
- it became a noted site for pilgrimages and miracles
- Cenobriach = head of people living a life in common
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Online
- Heiligen 3s
- Katherine Rabenstein
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Pictorial Lives of the Saints
- “Saint Theodosius the Cenobiarch“. Saints.SQPN.com. 11 January 2013. Web. 8 December 2013. <>