Sainte Anne de Beaupre

[basilica of Sainte Anne de Beaupre]Article

Beaupre in Canada was settled in 1650 and Saint Anne‘s chapel was dedicated in 1658. In 1673 the shrine was rebuilt and a miraculous cure marked the event. In 1876 a church was built by means of contributions from all Canada, and Pope Leo XIII raised it to the rank of a minor basilica on 5 May 1887. It was destroyed, however, by fire on 29 March 1922. A new church was completed in 1929, and formally consecrated on 4 July 1976. It is served by Redemptorists and is adorned by votive offerings. The relics are finger and wrist bones of Saint Anne. Beaupre is a noted place of pilgrimage for the sick.

Additional Information

MLA Citation

  • “Sainte Anne de Beaupre”. Gazetteer of the Faith. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 October 2010. Web. 23 September 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/sainte-anne-de-beaupre/>