Blessed James Benfatti
- Also known as
James of Mantua
Father of the Poor
- 26 November;
19 November (Dominicans)
- Dominican at Mantua, Italy in 1290.
Doctor of theology.
Friend and brother friar with Nicholas Boccasino who later became Pope Benedict XI, and for whom James held several support offices including papal legate.
Bishop of Mantua in 1303.
Noted for his devotion to the poor.
Rebuilt his cathedral and refurbished churches.
Papal legate for Pope John XXII.
- late 13th century at Mantua, Italy
- 19 November 1332 at Mantua, Italy of natural causes;
body found incorrupt when exhumed in 1480 and 1604
- 1859 (cultus confirmed) by Pope Pius IX
- Eternal God, you established Blessed James as a model for your flock and made him renowned for his zeal for peace and for his mercy towards your people.
By his prayers and example may we be united in the truth of your word and ever ardent in your divine love.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
- General Calendar of the Order of Preachers
español | français | deutsch | italiano | português