Blessed Jane of Portugal
- Also known as
Joan of Portugal
Joana of Portugal
- 12 May
- Princess, the daughter of King Alphonsus V of Portugal.
Entered a Dominican convent at Aveiro in 1473.
The royal family objected to her taking vows because she might need to marry to insure the continuity of the royal bloodline.
She agreed, and did not take vows until 1485 when the succession was secured.
- 16 February 1452 at Aveiro, Portugal
- 12 May 1490 in Aveiro, Portugal of natural causes
- 31 December 1692 by Pope Innocent XII (cultus confirmed)
if you have information relevant to the canonization of Blessed Jane, contact:
Mosteiro Pio XII do Rosário Perpétuo
Rua do Rosário 1
2495-559 Fátima, PORTUGAL
- O God, in the midst of the royal court you strengthened Blessed Jane with purity of heart.
By her prayers may your faithful turn from the things of earth and seek after the things of heaven.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
- General Calendar of the Order of Preachers
español | français | deutsch | italiano | português