Blessed John of Salerno
- 9 August
- Related to Norman princes.
Educated at Bologna.
Physically small, he was noted by all for his leadership and organizational skills.
Friar Preacher, receiving the habit from Saint Dominic in 1219 while still in University.
With twelve brothers, he founded a Dominican friary near Florence, Italy in 1220.
The men in this house caused a great evangelical stirring in Florence, and they were given the monastery of Santa Maria Novella; under the Dominican's direction, it became a noted center for art and education.
- c.1190 at Salerno, Italy
- 1272 of natural causes;
buried at the church of Saint Maria Novella in Florence, Italy;
relics translated several times, the last being on 18 February 1571
- Name Meaning
- God is gracious; gift of God (John)
- 1783 by Pope Pius VI (cultus confirmed)
- God of truth, for the spread of the faith you made Blessed John a renowned preacher of your word.
By the help of his prayers may we confess with our mouths unto salvation what we believe with our hearts unto justice.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
- General Calendar of the Order of Preachers
- Additional Information
- First Disciples of Saint Dominic
español | français | deutsch | italiano | português