Blessed Luigi Biraghi
- 11 August
- The fifth of eight children.
Entered the Minor Seminary of Castello sopra Lecco at age 12; studied in the Major Seminaries of Monza and Milan.
Ordained in the archdiocese of Milan, Italy on 28 May 1825.
Taught in the seminaries of Castello sopra Lecco, Seveso and Monza.
A highly educated and cultured man with deep known of the early Church fathers and archeology.
Spiritual director of the Major Seminary of Milan in 1833.
With the help of Mother Mariana Videmari, in 1836 Father Biraghi founded the Institute of the Sisters of Saint Marcellina (Marcellina Sisters) at Cernusco sul Naviglio; the Institute requires fidelity to the faith in daily life by its members, and established schools for girls, both the nobility who could pay for it, and the poor who were not required.
Named a doctor of the prestigious Biblioteca Ambrosiana in 1855.
Honorary canon of the Basilica of Saint Ambrose.
In 1862, by the Pope's request, he acted as mediator among the clergy of Milan who were split between those who supported a united Italy, and those who sought the return of the Papal States.
Vice-Prefect of the Ambrosiana in 1864.
Appointed Domestic Prelate to Blessed Pope Pius IX in 1873.
Today the Marcellina Sisters continue their good work in Italy, France, Brazil, Switzerland, England, Albania, Canada, and Mexico.
- 2 November 1801 in Vignate, Milan, Italy
- 11 August 1879 in Milan, Italy of natural causes;
buried in the family grave in Cernusco sul Naviglio, Italy;
remains translated to the chapel of the Marcellines' Mother House in Cernusco in 1951
- 20 December 2003 by Pope John Paul II
- 30 April 2006 by Pope Benedict XVI;
recognition celebrated in Milan, Italy
if you have information relevant to the canonization of Blessed Luigi, contact:
P.zza Cardinal Ferrari, 5
20122 Milano, ITALY
español | français | deutsch | italiano | português