Saint Luis Batiz Sainz
- Also known as
- Luis Batiz
- 25 May
- Known as a pious child, Luis entered the seminary at Durango at age 12.
Ordained on 1 January 1894.
Seminary spiritual director and parish priest at Chalchihuites the rest of his life.
Worked with Catholic Action.
Started schools for poor children.
Taughtm catechism to children and adults.
Preached against violence and violent revolution.
Accused of plotting anti-government uprisings.
Arrested by government forces on 14 August 1926.
Offered his freedom if he would recognize the legitimacy of Calle's anti-religious government; he declined.
Martyred with Saint David Roldan, Saint Salvador Lara, and Saint Manuel Moralez.
One of the Martyrs of the Cristera War.
- 13 September 1870 at San Miguel del Mezquital, Mexico
- shot by firing squad on 15 August 1926 at Chalchihuites, Zacatecas, Mexico
- 22 November 1992 by Pope John Paul II
- 21 May 2000 by Pope John Paul II during the Jubilee of Mexico
- Additional Information
- Kirken i Norge [norwegian]
español | français | deutsch | italiano | português
- I am dying for God, and God will care for my children.
-Saint Luis just before execution when pleading for the lives of his fellow prisoners who were family men; children were his parishioners