Society of Saint Edmund

Article

Founded under the name Oblates of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary, Missionaries of Saint Edmund, at Pontigny, France in 1843 by Father Jean Baptiste Muard for the work of missions. The members devote themselves to parochial and educational work, to the direction of pious associations, and to foreign missions. The mother- house, originally at Pontigny, after the spoliation laws in France was transferred to Hitchens, England, where the fathers administered Saint Michael’s College until 1925 when the Augustinians of the Assumption replaced them. Formerly, the Congregation had also possession of the Abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel, and colleges at Laval, Chateau Gontier, and Sens. For a time they directed the Indian mission of Saint Labre in the Diocese of Great Falls, Montana. The Society is now represented in the Diocese of Burlington, Vermont, conducting an Apostolic School and Novitiate at Swanton, and Saint Michael’s College at Winooski Park.

MLA Citation

  • “Society of Saint Edmund”. New Catholic Dictionary. Saints.SQPN.com. 25 April 2012. Web. 17 April 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/society-of-saint-edmund/>