Sodality of Saint Peter Claver

Founded at Salzburg, Austria in 1894 by Countess M. Theresia Ledóchowska to aid the African missions and to foster the work of freeing slaves. It includes members of a female religious institute who are entirely engaged in the work of the African missions (these lead a community life in civilized countries, and have their headquarters at Rome, Italy); laymen and women who devote themselves as far as their state in life permits, to the work of the sodality, especially by managing the succursals; and common helpers of either sex who foster the work by contributions and other means. There are also sodalities of this name in missions.